About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Fashion is a most definitely a passion, however I love to inspire people. I love sharing things I have discovered. From London originally but brought up in Berlin, family in Marrakech and spend most of my life living out of a suitcase. Most people would despise the continuous nomadic behaviour, however I thrive on packing for a new adventure! Stay tuned as I post about 2-3 times a week giving you a taster on my exciting finds!

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Claude’s Salon de The- Let them eat Cake!

Well I am British- and technically we can scrutinize that only the best experience with afternoon tea only exists on our island. However I think every Brit should eat their words. I found Claude’s by chance whilst walking around the city on a hot day in summer. I remember sitting outside and admiring the surroundings from outside, little 
did I know what would be awaiting me on the inside.

A flash of duck egg blue and pink mixed with shabby chic, Marie Antoinette interior. What used to be an old 20’s butchers shop (old tiles on the ceiling) is now the most beautiful miniature Salon de jour, perfect for ladies who take tea or generally want to feel as feminine as possible.

You can have a lovely lunch during the day, rustic sandwiches, fresh soups and salads but nothing compares to the homemade cake and macaroons that follow. My favourite being the chocolate and caramel but the cheesecake is out of this world and I have heard some say that it challenges the cheesecake of New York. (Oh dear writing about this makes me hungry!)

What makes this experience whole is the fact that Claude himself greets you with the utmost hospitality and makes you feels truly looked after.
The inscription on the outside window ‘Let them eat cake’ said by Marie Antoinette at the height of revolution- Well Marie, if you are referring to the cheesecake from Claude’s – I totally concur.
This is a must see When In Antwerp.

Address: 79 Scheldestraat, 2000 Antwerp 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds lovely, I am planning to visit this place next week when I'm in Antwerp:). Do you remember how much the afternoon tea is? Their website doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete