About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Fashion is a most definitely a passion, however I love to inspire people. I love sharing things I have discovered. From London originally but brought up in Berlin, family in Marrakech and spend most of my life living out of a suitcase. Most people would despise the continuous nomadic behaviour, however I thrive on packing for a new adventure! Stay tuned as I post about 2-3 times a week giving you a taster on my exciting finds!

Tuesday 4 October 2011

WHEN IN JEWELLERY - Jelena Behrend an artist of another kind

A trip into a story book 



Stepping into Jelena's studio downtown is like walking into a diary. Filled with memories, tools and inspiration this is every artist's dream.


Her ethic is based on individuality, everything having its own character and specialty. If you were to take a look at a Pollock or Rothko painting, and you would turn round to me and say ' Ha that is easy to copy!' I would tell you that there is not a chance that you could replicate the same substance as these artists did. Jelena is in the same category. Her pieces are simple but crafted with such care and personal attention that no matter what you see on the high street nowadays nothing compares to the history behind each one of her gems.


Her studio/showroom is a fantastic space, a museum of brick a brack which Jelena uses to merchandise and inspire. A long hall with shelves littered with old family photographs and candle sticks, books and letters, necklaces and tools, this place is a haven for all things creative.



At one end of the studio she has set up a showing space with her delicate collections, and as she showed me, she talked about her 'babies' and how she loves each characteristic of each individual piece.

It really struck me today that there was creative compassion still left in this industry. Jalena is living proof. Her work is her entire being and she lives and breathes craftsmanship.

This is a must visit When in New York


All of these gems and chains you see
Tell you the story of Jelena's past
So many stories of where she's been
And how she got to where she is
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've not got any jewellery too
It's true...her Jewels are made for you 


For more info see: 

http://jelenabehrendstudio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment