About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Fashion is a most definitely a passion, however I love to inspire people. I love sharing things I have discovered. From London originally but brought up in Berlin, family in Marrakech and spend most of my life living out of a suitcase. Most people would despise the continuous nomadic behaviour, however I thrive on packing for a new adventure! Stay tuned as I post about 2-3 times a week giving you a taster on my exciting finds!

Monday 29 August 2011

WHEN IN ELTHAM PALACE- A History lesson in style

Transport through time with Henry the VIII and the Charleston!


Now I know that this blog contains more fashion and food places however I thought I would start a new trend and talk about stately homes. Now 'Why?' you might ask am I doing this. Well the answer is simple. Some of these gorgeous landmarks can be the key into inspiration for our own homes and they are portals into another era which has somehow been forgotten or lost in this modern world of ours. I feel that when I visit such places I am transcended back in time- lost in a time warp, but I love it. It is such a break from the outside world and it gives me a sense of pride- being British and that we have such an ornate and vast history.

Now the other side to this story is that fashion is the repetition of ages and we like to believe that we have an appreciation for these periods through changing trends. It is only when you go to these houses of inspiration do you really start to realise how much we need them for fashion trend and predictions.

Eltham palace is one of those special places where two trends collide and create something so extraordinary that it makes you want to go home redecorate and pull out your wardrobe and restyle!

The melange of Tudor and Deco. How? What? and Why? could this even be possible. However it is and is soooooo works!!

Start by touring the childhood home of Henry VIII ( the remains of Eltham Palace) and end up immersing yourself in 1930s Art Deco built by the wealthy Courtauld family. What a wonderful skip in time! The Tudor rooms are so heavy and regal that you are in awe of such decor for such a time. The deco rooms make you want to Charleston your way through the hallways and pull out the red lippy and deck yourself with pearls and silk gloves. Many a time the backdrop for Hollywood movies or music videos, this place has seen its fair share in modern utilisation.

There is something ever so eerie about the halls of the home, something ghostly, but that sense in mystery fills me with utter excitement as I bound from one room to another to see the next installment in history.

Each room is totally different and the split in historical reference is amazing and will inspire anyone who is having trouble redecorating or wandering what their style preference is!

This is a must visit When in London

Alas, my love, I love this place,
That lies in on the edge of time.
For I have loved it throughout my life,
wishing that it all could be mine.

Eltham Palace was all my joy
Eltham was my delight,
Eltham was my heart of gold,
And who but my Palace of Eltham.

For more info see:
Court Yard, Eltham, Greenwich, London - SE9 5QE

No comments:

Post a Comment