About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Fashion is a most definitely a passion, however I love to inspire people. I love sharing things I have discovered. From London originally but brought up in Berlin, family in Marrakech and spend most of my life living out of a suitcase. Most people would despise the continuous nomadic behaviour, however I thrive on packing for a new adventure! Stay tuned as I post about 2-3 times a week giving you a taster on my exciting finds!

Sunday 18 September 2011

WHEN IN THE JAD MAHAL - Aladdin's swinging hang out!

The Moroccan version of Coyote Ugly!


I love a little theatrics where ever I go. Whether it is in the decor or in the product, it is fun to have that little bit of drama.

In the heart of the Hivernage in the modern town of Marrakech there is a place that makes Aladdin's palace look so shabby and bare. You walk into a little courtyard and you enter the regal double doors. You see a glass garden, surrounded by low tables covered in candles and ornate pillow chairs.

The Jad Mahal has a mix of cuisines ranging from Moroccan to french, to sushi and much more. Let me walk you through your night at the Jad.


You sit down and order. You tuck in to your meal. You feel relaxed and you are taking in the beautiful surroundings of this great hall. At around 10pm the lights start to dim and you hear the music getting louder. Suddenly out of the darkness women come out with large trays on their heads with tea pots and candles. They sway in and dance around your table getting you in the oriental vibe and suddenly once again you are surprised by a string of gorgeous belly dancers who pull you up from your seats to dance. It feels almost as if you are taking part in an ancient Moroccan ritual of dining.

The girls towards the end of the of the dance move into the glass house in the middle of the room and perform a beautiful routine that creates this lit illusion from within the palm leaves. And then, as if nothing had happened the lights go up and the music dims and you sit back down to finish your meal.

Once the meal is complete you head to the back of the restaurant to the bar where a stage has been set up and the crowds begin to gather. There is a live performance almost every night with music that starts as rock and roll soul to pop and 80s disco with an Arabic twist. Glouie musicians come out at the end to get the oriental vibe pumping and all is I can say is - The Moroccans know how to get their groove on!

when I’m dancing at the Jad
tomorrow doesn’t matter
turn the music up
til the windows start to shatter
cuz it's the only place who can get me on my feet
and I can’t even dance



for more info see:
10 Rue Haroune Erracid

No comments:

Post a Comment